Monday, September 24, 2012

Using wall spaces effectively and more

I am loathe to schedule things to do on Saturday morning,and much as i dont want the kids to miss out on the various activities outdoors by cooping them at home, Saturday morning happens to be a time that I really enjoy at home with husband and the girls.

My camera ran out of battery halfway through the weekend, so not many photos today, but more words, which is fine for the moment.

A few weeks ago, I had given the girls tender coconus and saved the shells to dry. They had dried up beautifully and I thought it would be a good opportunity to get down to paint them. first though, there was this to do
A long time ago, I had made a schedule chart with the days of the week and a bunch of velcro stickers saying things like "Swimming", "birthdays", "music" etc. The chart was used for a while and then the kids kind of grew out of it, but it stayed on the wall, partly because it covered a very ugly green paint blotch under it. This weekend, I decided to tackle it.


The girls were keen to help and spent a good bit of effort scriubbing the wall. After that, I put a coat of chalkboard paint on it. I got the chalk baord paint from Art friend last Christmas, but didnt have sufficient inspiration to do anything with it till date.

While the first coat was drying, Anjali helped husband to do some sawing. They sawed wood for fixiing the bookshelf, which, as you can see in the top picture, had collapsed under the weight of all the books that we had put on it. While they were sawing, i cleared out many of my old, fat text books, which are rather outdated and are simply in the bookshelf to make it look impressively studious (Ofcourse, I dont want too many people to know that i spend most of my time reading crappy fiction)

Then we got down to the coconut painting

And for the fun of it, and also becaujse we have other walls in need of work, I decided to paint chalkboard on the wall near the table.
And here is Anjali the next morning, drawing on it

Anjali had a fever on Sunday afternoon. It was a bit of a bummer for us as we had planned to do the weekend shopping and library trip on Sunday afternoon, followed by what Anjali called the trip to the noisy place (i.e, the Time Zone arcade) in the mall. She was due for her second Coats surgery this morning. but the surgery had to be postponed because of the fever. We will know tomorrow when to schedule the next intervention. 

1 comment:

  1. That looks really fun! I have been meaning to make my own chalk board too. Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete

For your little notes and ideas