Monday, January 10, 2011

Piano classes

So we have started piano classes, and I must admit - they do a decent job of it at Christofori. Anjali has two music friends - Beethoven Bear and Mozart mouse - talk about cliched and then she has to say things like

"My bear likes low sounds", while tapping the bear on the low end of the keyboard and

"My mouse like high sounds" while tapping the high end of the keyboard.

The playing that they did was to zoom across the keyboard with their racing car and beeping the car.

I was much older when I learnt keyboard - about 22. So i could file the information in declarative memory. i remember taking two months to go through the beginners piano book as opposed to meenakshi, who took about a year - she was about 8 or 9 years old at that time. Now I realize that I was encoding declarative memory, while what the kids do, atleast at Anjali's age, is to encode things at the procedural level, completely bypassing the declarative level - where piano playing is like riding the bicycle.

It will be interesting to see how this experiment plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For your little notes and ideas